Friday, June 22, 2012

Homemade Deodorant Using doTerra Essential Oils Purify and Citrus Bliss




After checking out several recipes, I just made my own deodorant using the essential oils Purify and Citrus Bliss!  It smells great...so on to the experiment to see how well it works!  
This photo was taken prior to the deodorant being completely set up.

In trying to get rid of "bad for you" chemicals in our household, I tried a "healthy" deodorant (GeoDeo) and found I smelled all the time. Ugh!  I never used to smell an odor when I used regular deodorants so after feeling like the one I purchased didn't work at all, I decided to search the web and find a homemade alternative.  After all, I absolutely love my homemade lotion and baby wipes.  

The baby wipes recipe is already on the blog but I need to post the lotion soon.  I use it on my hands and on my face.  I used to have a problem my face breaking out unless I used an oil-free moisturizer so I always stuck to those and only had the occasional break-out.  Seriously though, I don't think 50-year old women should break out at all!  I think my lack of the occasional breakout is also due to drinking doTerra lemon oil in my water all day long every day. Now, with my coconut oil based lotion/moisturizer I never break out!  So exciting!  

Anyway, back to the deodorant.  It only took me a couple of minutes to make and required ingredients that are fairly inexpensive and that I already had on hand.  

All Natural, Homemade Deodorant recipe: 

1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup pure, organic, virgin coconut oil
20 drops of CPTG essential oil

Mix the baking soda and corn starch in a bowl.  Melt the oil in a pan on low heat and then remove from heat.    Pour oil into dry mixture and mix until there are no clumps.  Stir in essential oils of your choosing.  I chose Citrus Bliss and Purify.  I chose Purify because it contains Lemon, Line, Pine, Citronella, Melaleuca and Cilantro, oils that are good for eliminating odors, have antiseptic properties and are good for the skin.  I chose Citrus Bliss because I like the smell and it is a mood-lifting oil similar to Wild Orange.  It reminds me of the Creamsicle Popsicle.  This recipe will make enough to fill 2-3 empty deodorant containers, depending on size.

Aromatools.com has a wonderful selection of containers for lip balms, deodorants and many other things at great prices.  Here is the link for the deodorant containers.

I'll update you later as to how well my new deodorant works...for now, I am sweet, smelling and happy...

Note:  The coconut oil can be purchased at any health food store.  I actually buy it in bulk from someone in Utah and use it as a food so it is not costly at all for me to make this deodorant or my homemade lotion.  Coconut oil is an amazing oil that is healthy for you and can actually help you lose weight.  I made a homemade butter out of coconut oil for my husband who is on a completely plant-based diet and we loved it!!!  Will share that recipe later too.

Another Note:  The Citrus oils should not be used on skin right before going out into the sun.  So, if you plan on baring your arm pits in the sun (which some of us may now that it is summertime), you will want to replace the Citrus oil with a delicious smelling non-citrus oils such as lavender or ylang-ylang.  I would have used ylang-ylang, one of my very favorite smells but I don't have any yet.  Seriously saving up my money for it.  I want to use it as a perfume and in my lotions.


UPDATE:  Well, I've been using it for several days now and I still love it!  No odors!  I have decided that the recipe needs a little tweaking.  Because it is summertime and the temperature is a warmer, I am finding the deodorant is a little soft compared to a normal roll-on.  The coconut oil, which is the base of this recipe, tends to soften or harden according to the temperature of the area it is stored in.  If I roll up more than I need, I end up with too much on one armpit and have to wipe some off and put it on the other side.  So, next time I make deodorant, I will add a couple of tablespoons of grated beeswax which will make the consistency more like commercial deodorant.  For now, if I roll up the right amount of deodorant for one arm pit at a time, it is great!  By the way, I am still absolutely loving the combination of the Citrus Bliss and Purify essential oils!  I find myself pausing to take another whiff whenever I am near the medicine cabinet!  Now, I am on my way to make a lemon-lime sugar scrub to give to my mom when we visit this weekend!  

UPDATE #2:  Still using the deodorant and still loving it.  No complaints at all!  I don't know why I ever used anything else!  Actually, I found that the although the deodorant is a little runny sometimes, leaving the lid off and letting it dry out a little made it the perfect thickness.

UPDATE#3:  I just ran out and can't stand to use anything else!  Making more today but using one of my all-time favorite oils, doTerra's Wild Orange!

18 comments:

Heather Pearson said...

Does your homemade deoderant leave any marks on clothes or discolor or stain?

Angela said...

Nope! It hasn't discolored or stained anything and I haven't noticed it leaving permanent marks on clothing. As with other white deodorants, I can sometimes see a residue if I've swiped the clothing on the deodorant before it dries. The coconut oil doesn't seem to stain either. Give it a try! I love it and don't ever want to go back to commercial deodorants!

applehillcottage said...

I've been making lotions and body butters and scrubs, but I've never tried a deodorant. Where do you get your empty deodorant containers? I'd also like to try making some lip balm in tiny little tins, Have you ever done that? Glad I discovered your site. It's lovely.

Angela said...

I get most of my containers from aromatools.com. They have a wonderful selection and great prices. I'm adding the link for the containers in the post above. The first time I made deodorant I just went around the house and emptied the commercial ones we had. I was especially happy to empty the "natural" one because it didn't work at all. You can also just buy some at a 99 cent or dollar store.

Jen Miller said...

Awesome info and well-written post, Angela! Wish I could have been there to witness your creations! :) Please invite me next time!

Samantha Marsden said...

Is that 20 drops of each oil? Or 10 of each, to equal 20?

Angela said...

Of course!

Angela said...

I use 20 drops total of whatever combination of oils I think will smell good. If you use more than 20 drops, your deodorant will probably be too runny. I do recommend that half of the drops be Purify because it is great for getting rid of odors. My husband couldn't get the gasoline smell off his hands one day and used Purify and the smell was gone!

Angela said...

To clarify, I would use a total of 20 drops of oil for the recipe. It can be any combination. For example, 5 drops of citrus bliss, 5 drops lime and 10 drops of purify for a total of 20. Or, just 20 drops of Purify. Hope that helps! You are going to love your deodorant! Let me know how it works for you...

Laura said...

You mentioned a coconut oil based lotion/moisturizer that helps prevent your breakouts. What is the recipe for that?

Angela said...

I use my recipe for "Lovely Lavender Lotion made with Creamy Coconut Oil" which you can find listed under the tab above "Recipes for Natural Products". I also have a post about acne you may want to check out that has a lot of good information! Just click on the "Ailments" tab above and then click on "acne"!

Shauna said...

I make my own deodorant also...I had so many health issues and it was determined that the aluminum found in anti-perspirants was poisoning me. SO happy with the better health I'm finding through essential oils. LOVE my deodorant and I use a smaller recipe so that I can change scents every couple of months. One of my favorites is Bergamot, Frankincense, and Lavender. But then I have to say I love Citrus Bliss and Lemon too!!

Melanie Antonacci said...

Would this recipe be ok to go into a roll-on container? I can't wait to try it!

Angela said...

How wonderful that you are taking care of your health! It is great that we have so many oils!

Angela said...

Yes, that is all I ever use! Enjoy your deodorant!

Nicky Croydon said...

I also use coconut oil for cooking and a moisturiser so I know the texture of it, does this deodorant recipe result in a similar texture? Also, how much do you apply to your skin? Is it a personal thing based on what works for each individual?

Angela said...

Shauna, I think every woman should research the effects of the ingredients inside our deodorants. I can't believe I used regular deodorants for so long! I'm going to try some of your fragrance combinations next time I make a batch!


Angela said...

Melanie and Nicky, I use the extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil that I cook with and the texture goes from solid to liquid depending on the temperature of the room it is stored in. It wouldn’t work well in a roller bottle at all. For a roller, I would use doTerra's Fractionated Coconut oil because it stays liquid at room temperature. The amount you use is based on personal preference. I find just a little does the job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...