Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Singer's Throat Spray Recipe Using doTerra Essential OIls

                           


I found a recipe that is awesome for singers!  I had to sing at church the Sunday before Christmas and I felt like I was getting laryngitis.  This worked wonderfully for me and I have used it ever since!  I found the recipe posted on everythingessentials googlegroup but when I have gone back to find the source, it is unavailable.  I would love to give credit to the voice teacher who posted it so....if it is you, let me know!

This is what she says:



"I am a voice teacher too and I make a throat spray for my students with On Guard, Frankincense, Myrrh, Lemon, Clove and Peppermint. Sometimes I put a drop of oregano in there too and leave out the Myrrh or Clove. It works great. Actually, any of the oils in On Guard are wonderful for throat issues. I just put about 10 drops of On Guard and 3 to 5 drops of everything else in a 15 mil. bottle with a spray top and filled with distilled water. I first ask to see if there are any possible allergies to citrus, and then make the spray accordingly. I always ask if they might have a problem with any of the oils. Most people don't, but there are a few who no matter what you say about citrus, or the purity of doterra, won't go near it. So easy to make, and inexpensive. I charge 10 for the bottle and call it Singers Throat Spray. You can also add a little cinnamon...like one drop...and a pinch of a packet of Stevia to give it some flavor. Experiment and see what tastes best for you. It can be hot with the Oregano and Cinnamon, so check it out first. Hope this helps. Also, putting Eucalyptus and Cypress on the throat and chest topically help a lot. Drink lots of water....."


So, on to the recipe!!!!!


Singer’s Throat Spray
  
Use a 15ml bottle with a spray top. Fill it 3/4 full with distilled water and add: 

8 drops On Guard,

4 drops Peppermint

1 drop. Oregano

8 drops Lemon

2 drops Myrrh

1 drop Clove

1 drop Sandlewood

Experiment and see what tastes best for you. Can also add a pinch of Stevia to it to give it a little extra flavor. Just shake and spray to back of throat. Works like a charm. You don't have to use all those oils. I have added and subtracted here and there, but stayed consistent with the lemon, On Guard and Oregano. There is a recipe in Modern Essentials that also works well.

doTerra also makes fantastic throat lozenges with On Guard in them.  Many singers use those. They will also stop those dry coughs and soothe the tickle in the throat.

Another thing I do is fill a small bottle with water and added peppermint, lemon and DigestZen and sip it for an hour or so before I sing.  Between the spray and the water, I'm always in good singing voice!

4 comments:

Cheryl Christensen said...

Giving it a try. I live in Arizona and have constant tickle. I am a trainer and a vocalis. Recently asked to sing Alto solo for Messiah. Have to get rid of this cough!

Angela said...

Wow! So exciting that you are singing an Alto solo in the Messiah. I hope you got rid of the tickle!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great recipe! But I wonder what you thought about singers/speakers avoiding peppermint (along with menthol and all other mints?) I believe it to be drying and is supposed to be avoided before singing - as it can dry the pharynx and even numb it to a certain degree?

Angela said...

I love having the peppermint in my water prior to singing and I also like it in the spray. It helps open up my airways. I don't find it drying or numbing although I do feel a tingling feeling for a couple of minutes (which I like). I avoid mints and anything that has sugar as they affect my signing voice negatively. Happy singing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...